Spinach, Mushroom, and Smoked Gouda Quiche!

My parents just came back from their trip and one of the first things my mom came to show me was the brand new Coach bag she had bought while she was down in Houston visiting friends... and my only thought was... "really....?" and rolled my eyes. She seemed quite happy with it where as I find it a waste of money. Clearly this girly trait did not get passed on. I didn't give her that much grief considering she never had the opportunity to own anything that expensive or nice and always having to think of us first. I suppose if that makes her happy, she is entitled to enjoy what she thinks is luxury...though if you ask me, I'd rather spend it on something more practical like new kitchen/bake ware or clothes or food!

Is it odd that I just don't care for expensive purses, shoes, or jewelry?? Personally speaking, I just don't understand... is the VERY expensive purse/shoes/piece of jewelry going to bring you magical powers? Is it going to make you a better person? It's just an object with very little use. Don't get me wrong I still get all stupid silly when I see pretty shiny things but I can never justify ever buying any of those things when they are hundreds of dollars, what's the point!? Really you're paying 80% to the brand. Who cares "who" I'm carrying/wearing...it's not like "who" would appreciate my support. I don't ever see "who" personally sending out "thank you" cards...

Or maybe I'm just not meant for those things...I find no true value in them and I guess if I don't see the value why would I pursue to spend that much on it. My values lie in practicality and usefulness and with people, honesty and loyalty. Purses, shoes, and jewelries are nice but there's really no need to go beyond $20 for the most part. I rather spend my hundreds on a new camera attachment or kitchen ware or a brand new dining room set! All those things, useful! A thousand dollar purse...NOT. Can you eat out of it? No. Can you sleep on it? No. Will it cook your food? No. Will it make your tummy full and content? No.

All this ranting aside, it's not like I haven't gone down the route of buying pretty bags, shoes, and jewelry for the fact that I can finally afford things but in the end, I default back to my favorite pair of sneakers, ratty old bag, and I don't even bother with jewelry most of the time because I'm so lazy...I think as logic sets in, that impulsive part dies. So anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is, flattery through expensive things will get you nowhere in my book. Thoughtful gestures are thousands times more priceless and practical tools/supplies are thousand times more useful. Spend wisely or if you have too much money...donating is always an option! 

Now that I've probably managed to start a controversy of some sort, here is the practical part of my post, food! Spinach, Mushroom, and Smoked Gouda Quiche! Tasty as it sounds. I thought about putting bacon in but of course, I left that at the store...but the smokey flavor from the Gouda managed to do the same trick minus the meat. Crisis adverted. Though bacon still sounds good. I'm not a huge bacon fanatic but now and then I do enjoy its presence. 



Adapted from Cooking Light: Spinach Green Onion Smoked Gouda Quiche
Ingredients:
Crust:
  • 1 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 2 tablespoons butter close to room temperature
  • 3 tablespoons cold water
Fillings:
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • ½ cup thinly sliced green onions 
  • 3 cups fresh baby spinach
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
  • 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated smoked Gouda cheese
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • Dash of grated nutmeg
  • 3 large eggs

Procedures:
Crust:
To prepare crust, combine oats and oat bran; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water; stir just until moist. Press mixture gently into baking pan, bake at 375° for 7 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Filling:
  1. To prepare filling, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes.
  2. Combine 1 cup milk and remaining ingredients in a bowl; stir well with a whisk. Stir in spinach mixture. Pour filling into crust. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Cut into 10 wedges.

Comments