Parmesan Biscuits!

As a rule of thumb since my last trip overseas a few years ago, never, and I mean never, return to work the next day if you've just gotten off a plane the day/night before. I guess you could, I did once, but that was disastrous, I was so tired from jet lag and work, my overall jet lag recovery took an entire week! Don't do it if you can help it. 

So learning from the past, I didn't. I decided to take the remaining of the week off so I can rest/recover... turns out I don't really need much recovering this time around. There's a slight set back in terms of jet lag but honestly that just puts me into what most of the world call a normal weekend schedule of sleeping in until 10am. I'm just particularly special and prefer to wake up around 7am and so this is bugging me somewhat... I'll get over it I'm sure and if not, work schedule will for sure throw me back into my groove. 

In the mean time I guess I can use this time wisely to update blogs and make messes in my kitchen. Vacation was fun but man after a while do I miss the small things! There is nothing like sleeping in your own bed, hotel beds are just not the same. And as awesome as it is to eat at lovely places, I do miss a good old home cooked meal, not to mention I kind of miss cooking myself....which of course led me to this recipe: parmesan biscuits! First of all, it was cold and for some reason a hot biscuit sounded really nice so I decided to whip up a batch of my own. Ahhhh... the kitchen is so nice when its filled with the aroma of hot biscuits in the oven...

Before I get to my recipe, lets talk travels: highlights continues:

Spending a day @ Philip Islands:  
Means meeting all sorts cute animals(more koalas, kangaroos, wallabys, emus, etc), walks along its beautiful coastline, eating delicious fish&chips with a view to die for, and watching little penguins return home from the sea!


 

 


And now after your eyes have feasted, its time to feast on this recipe, super easy and results a super flaky biscuit. So I was 1/4 cup short of buttermilk when I was making this and thought, "eh regular milk should be fine" I don't know if that was what made this better than the last batch of biscuits I made, but I think I'm just going to keep this portion for future batches, it came out so flaky and light!

Parmesan Biscuits

Makes 6-7 standard sized biscuits

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp sugar
  • ½ cup of butter, grated or cut into small cubes
  • Approx ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • ½ cup of buttermilk
  • ¼ cup of milk
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
Procedures:
    1. Mix the dry ingredients together and then add in grated butter/ butter cubes. If butter is grated, the butter is easier to incorporate into the flour but if butter is cubed, may need a hand pastry blender.
    2. Add in buttermilk, milk, cheese, and bacon mix into the dough batter. Mix together and knead dough.
    3. Flatten or roll out dough to about ½ inch thick. Cut out biscuit using biscuit cutter (or a sturdy cookie cutter will work too)
    4. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of the biscuits (optional) for a crispy top layer.
    5. Bake in oven for approx 15 minutes at 400 degrees

Comments