Chinese BBQ Pork Banh Mi Sandwich!

On one of my trips up to Napa for a meeting/training for work, I was introduced to this awesome indoor market called Oxbow Public Market. If you love artisan foods, this is your heaven! Cakes, candies, jams, cheeses, wines, good eateries, produce, fruits, spices, mixers, drinks, so much you'd wish you have 3 more pairs of eyes just to go see it all! If you're ever in the area, this is the place to be! Of course this is also the place to be where you can easily walk out the door with your wallet quite empty. 


My favorite spots are The Whole Spice (you think you know spices, this is McCormick x 100!) and Oxbow Cheese and Wine Merchant. Selections are out of this world! Be warned though, it can get crowded and its a tight space but that's a small con to all the pros.


All of that said, there is a restaurant located in one of the far corners of the marketplace called the Kitchen Door where I've had dinner there a couple of times. Food is pretty good and decently priced ($10-$30) and one of the times I went I ordered their Banh Mi Sandwich with Duck. Not your traditional Vietnamese banh mi but a pretty darn good play on it! Full of bold flavors! I liked it so much I decided to dissect it so that I can make my own at home. It's full of veggies so actually not a bad option to have as a sandwich to eat and I think I did a pretty good job. The only disappointing thing is when you order the sandwich at the restaurant it comes with these amazing sweet potato fries which of course I haven't dabble into yet. Sorry sandwich only this time.


Chinese BBQ Pork Banh Mi Sandwich
Ingredients:
* I made this according to taste so measurements are not exactly as listed
  • 1 cup of Chinese BBQ pork, cut into strips (any type of non heavily marinated protein will work)
  • slices of cucumber
  • bean sprouts
  • sliced radish
  • fresh sliced jalapeno
  • spicy mayo (mayo + sriracha hot sauce)
  • fresh dill (or dried)
  • fresh cilantro
  • mint leaves
  • pickled carrots + diakon radish (or I got lazy and bought broccoli slaw + balsamic vinegar/apple cider +olive oil)
  • French baguette or sour dough (I bought these amazing rolls from Gayle's Bakery in Santa Cruz)
  • 1 cup of marinade: (adjust as needed, tasting is very important): Masterpiece honey teriyaki sauce (3-4 tbsp), Kikkoman teriyaki sauce (3-4 tbsp), Worcestershire (1 -2 tsp), sriracha (1-2 tbsp), hoisan sauce (2-3 tbsp), sesame oil (a few drops only!!), Yoshida sauce (4-5 tbsp)
Procedures:
  1.  Mix together ingredients for the marinade and add in pork making sure the pork is coated thoroughly. Set aside. If using dried dill then add this in as well.
  2. Prepare sandwich by toasting the bread then then to assemble: bread > spicy mayo > bean sprouts > jalapeno > cucumber > radish > carrots+diakon > marinaded BBQ pork > bread.
  3.  Give it a little smash and enjoy!

Comments