Homemade (Vegetarian) Chili!

It is undoubtedly the season for chili. LOVE me a nice big bowl of chili in the mist of winter, something about it is very comforting. When I was in college, I worked at the dining hall and every winter chili was one of their staples, that was my go-to meal. A bowl of chili and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. Yum! It was always a little sad when that would end. 

So this winter, chili is back! I also decided to make chili because it has a ton of veggie goodness because let's face it, caveman and I have been stuffing our faces with more protein than we should. This was a 2 in 1 solution which is why I decided to make it completely vegetarian. This makes a huge pot and between the 2 of us, it usually takes a few meals before its gone but when it's gone, its every last drop. I suppose you can make this completely from scratch but to save myself some time (until I get a pressure cooker or something), half-scratch it shall be and you know what, it came out better than expected!

Hope you love it as much as I do! P.S. I've already made 3 batches.... and I still see more in the coming future... at least this is a healthier addiction. I like to cook it way ahead of time, let it set for a few hours and then reheat it back up when I'm ready to eat, the flavors get so much better with time.

Homemade Vegetarian Chili
Ingredients:
  • 2lbs soy based ground beef (or skip altogether if you want, but I wanted the texture)
  • 2 chopped bell peppers
  • 1 chopped jalapeno
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 1 chopped stalk of celery
  •  2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 (28oz) can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (15oz) can of black beans
  • 1 (15oz) can of red kidney beans
  • 1 (15oz) can of pinto beans
  • 1 (8z) can of tomato paste
  • 1 tbsp ketchup
  • 1 packet of fajita seasoning
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp oregano
  • 1-2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 2-3 tbsp of sweet vermouth (for deglazing)
  • 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Procedures:
  1. In a large stock pot, over medium high heat, saute soy beef, peppers, onions, garlic, and celery together until tender. De-glaze contents with sweet vermouth. Add in seasoning mix, other herbs/spices and tomato paste.
  2. Over low medium heat, add in cans of beans and tomatoes. Include all liquids. Stir and continue to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes to marinate all the flavors
  3. Add cheese, mix until melted and chili is ready to be enjoyed. 

Comments