Quick Faux-Phó Noodle Soup!
#easyweeknightdinners @ mellelovesfood
Quick Faux-Phó Noodle Soup
...pretty darn close and 1/4 of the time
- 2 chicken sausages (the more plain the better), sliced
- 3 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups of rice noodles
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 piece of fresh ginger (about 2"x 2" is good), cut into strips
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper
- 1-2 cups of bean sprouts
- 2 sprigs of green onions, chopped
- handful of fresh mint and basil, roughly chopped
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of sesame oil
- Sriracha hot sauce and hoisen sauce (optional)
- Cook rice noodles according to package, drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, at medium high heat, heat up oil and saute onions, ginger, 1/3 of the jalapeno pepper, sausages together with the Chinese five spice. Cook for about 1-2 minutes and add in about 1/2 cup of broth and lower heat to a simmer. Let everything simmer for about 5 minutes with lid on.
- Then add in the rest of the broth, soy sauce, and fish sauce. Adjust to taste. Simmer an additional 5 minutes then bring back to boil and remove form heat.
- In a large soup bowl assemble the noodles (lightly coat with a little bit of soy sauce and sesame oil), sprouts, green onions, jalapeno peppers, mint and basil together. Pour the hot soup on top of everything and fill until desired soup level
- Enjoy with a bit of hot sauce and hoisen sauce :)