Caramelized Onions, Pastrami, with Creamy Spinach Artichoke Flat Bread



Instead of reproducing the exact same flat bread (which turned out to be very popular among my family members, asiago hummus flat bread) I decided to give it a little tweak, plus I needed to get rid of some of my pastrami. I go through phases with my menu selections. During the work week to keep things simple, I usually pick a meal and eat that for the week which by the end of the week, I’m pretty tired of what I’ve been eating all week hence always having to get “rid” of ingredients…

Spinach from my last post was from sandwich making as of course the pastrami. I’ve long ran out of bread and left with the contents of what you would put in your sandwich IF there was bread. Now I’m not exactly tired of eating sandwiches just yet…but if I bought another loaf I definitely would be and I didn’t want to get to that point. Therefore to avoid all that, I usually try to come up with things to make with my leftover ingredients.

This recipe will go into one of my not so healthy recipes so eat sparingly. The creamy spinach artichoke made a perfect base for the caramelized onions, and the mustard gives it a little bit of tang so that it’s not overwhelming in creaminess. Put all that together with peppery pastrami and its perfect! Another new favorite go to recipe for party appetizers. 


Makes approx 12”x 12” flatbread
Ingredients:
  • 1 16oz bag of pizza dough (Trader Joe’s garlic & herb)
  • Approx 8 oz Creamy Spinach Artichoke Dip (Trader Joe’s)
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 2-3 large slices of pastrami
  • Approx 1 -2 tbsp mustard (optional: I used sweet and spicy)
  • 1 -2 tbsp olive oil (for cooking onions)
  • Garlic salt (to flavor)
  • Approx 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
  • Cheese of choice (optional)
  • Flour (for when working with pizza dough)

Procedure:
    1. Prepare pizza dough via instructions on package if any. If not, sprinkle a little bit of flour onto work surface and hand knead/stretch pizza dough until it’s about 12” x 12” in size.
    2. Prepare “sauce” if needed (Trader Joe’s I had to heat up the dip) and then spread a thin layer onto the dough
    3. In a sauté pan, sauté onions with a little bit of olive oil, salt, and sugar until completely cooked and slightly brown.
    4. Layer on toppings: onions, mustard, and pastrami. Sprinkle on a little bit of cheese if you wish.
    5. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes
    6. Enjoy!

Comments