Garlic (Cauliflower) Breadsticks!

I've been a little obsessed with cauliflower lately... but less in a vegetable kind of way and more of an everyday hide it into your foods sorts. I have to admit, I was a bit on the fence at first. I was afraid it was going to turn everything into a pile of watery mush. It is a vegetable after all but to my greatest surprise, everything I've made so far has been pretty successful. In most cases, you don't even know it's there. Cauliflower is such a neutral vegetable, it's amazing and great to hide into foods + full of nutrients.

I've been using it to replace some of my  carb-y side dishes: i.e. rice, mash potatoes, bread, etc. Not because I have anything against carbs, I <3 them! But I also need to be smart and think healthier options... sometimes...because you know...not getting any younger (ahem...) and so choosing a healthy alternative from time to time is a good thing. It also totally cuts calories down when I use it as an alternative. Like this particular recipe, instead of toasting up a heavy piece of bread as a side, I made breadsticks from a vegetable! Totally justifiable to have a few more pieces! I've slightly adjusted the recipe because when I used a 1:1 ratio of eggs to cauliflower I found it to be a bit egg-y, like a crispy quiche, so I'm thinking a 1:2 ratio would be better to take some of that egg-ness away. Either way though, it was delicious! Hopefully more veggie inspired recipes to come! For now have a piece of garlicky "bread" stick :).

Garlic (Cauliflower) Breadsticks
inspired by Jo Cooks

Ingredients:
  • 3-4 cups of riced raw cauliflower - raw cauliflower will cook down to about 2 cups.
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup of cheese (I used a blend of Parmesan + mozzarella)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 3 tsp parsley
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • salt/pepper to taste
  • additional cheese to top 
Procedures:
  1. Rice the cauliflower + cloves of garlic using a blender or food processor until cauliflower bits look like pieces of rice (cut stems off if too long prior to ricing). 
  2. In a microwave safe container, microwave cauliflower for 3-5 minutes (depending on microwave watts) until cauliflower is nice and tender, slightly translucent. Set aside to cool completely
  3. Mix in the rest of the ingredients in with the cauliflower and mix well, until batter-like consistency
  4. Flatten and shape to about 1/4" thick square onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 425F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. 
  5. Remove from the oven, top with additional cheese and bake for additional 3-5 minutes until cheese melts  

Comments