Pumpkin Pie 2012!

What's Thanksgiving without a pumpkin pie right?
Therefore I present:
Pumpkin Pie with Candied Pecan Graham Cracker Crust!


Okay so I just wanted another excuse to make my pumpkin pie. After making some tweaks to a couple of different pie recipes last year, I ended up with a magnificent new recipe and I'm not just saying that because I made it, but seriously this pie is GOOD. Just how good? It passed my family's criticism good.


It may not seem much but my family are the pickiest eaters when it come to anything outside of Asian cuisine. What most people find good and delicious, I've have always only gotten an "eh, it's okay" but this time around, they actually LIKE it. That's like getting the gold seal of approval (yay personal victory!)! 

Since I've made this last year, I wanted to play with it a little bit more. We should always strive to improve right!? Plus even though last year's pie was good, it wasn't all that eye pleasing.... in saying that, making this was also an added excuse to play with taking pictures... 2 birds with one stone!


 What's new? The candied pecan graham cracker crust!

I'm going to be honest though, the crust did not turn out as I had envisioned but it was still very tasty, just more moist than preferred probably because the pumpkin pie mixture is more liquified than what I'd usually use the graham cracker crust for (cheesecakes).

Candied Pecans recipe here
Pumpkin Pie recipe here or here for the original blog post

Candied Pecan Graham Cracker Crust recipe:
Ingredients:
  • candied pecan recipe
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 package of crushed graham crackers
  • 2 tbsp of butter
  1. Use a blender to crush the graham crackers and pecans (separately) and then combine all the dry ingredients.
  2. Melt butter in microwave (approx 30 secs) and mix will with dry mix
  3. Line and press the crust onto a pie tin. 
  4. Bake the crust at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
Notes: 
  • Using a springfoam pan will allow for easy release but it does leak a little with the pumpkin pie mixture so beware. Make sure there's a sheet pan or something under the springfoam pan for good measure.
  • Using a little more butter will give you a stronger and probably crispier crust. 
  • Sprinkle some pieces of "chopped" candied pecan as topping for added crunch, you won't regret! 
Whipped Cream Topping:
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 pint container of whipping cream
Combine and whip until strong peaks form. Then transfer into a pipping bag with tip (optional) and decorate pie. 



Comments