SuperBowl XLVII! Game Time with Baked Caribbean Jerk Chicken Wings!



It’s game time! Super Bowl XLVII is finally here! Let’s go Niners! What am I doing to play a part in all of the madness?? Besides prepping my heart for the big game, I came up with this recipe…well to be more accurate, I came up with an adaptation to the many recipes I came across for making jerk chicken.


I knew I wanted to make wings of some sort but I’m not really a huge fan of Buffalo wings and only sometimes do I prefer them, today is not that day. Then I remembered back in May, my friend’s sister was baking chicken wings for a family event and immediately I wanted some. Though I had no idea what type of chicken wings she was making (I think she told me…but it’s been a while since last May, I have clearly forgotten), it reminded me of jerk chicken and so that is what I decided to settle on. 


When I got to the store to pick up the chicken wings, I thought, well since it’s the Super Bowl I definitely don’t want to spend the whole day in the kitchen so maybe I’ll just be lazy this time and get wings, a bottle of sauce, and throw some spices I have at home on it and be done with it. When I got down to the sauce/rubs aisle and picked up a potential mate for my wings, turn it over to read the ingredients/nutrition label – because I have that habit – I realized “man there is a lot of sodium and high fructose corn syrup in this”… pick up another bottle, same thing…this is looking grim. Finally I decided to just do a quick search on my phone to see what the long method for making jerk chicken is, turns out not so difficult and I have all the spices at home already. Well problem solved, now I don’t have to worry about all those mysterious ingredients in the bottled sauces, I can make my own.

I suggest making the rub the night before you plan to bake it so it can marinate overnight but if not, then at least let it marinate for 1-2 hours.

Baked Caribbean Jerk Chicken Wings
 printable recipe here

Ingredients:
  • Package of chicken wings (mine had about 20 wings)
For spice rub:
  • 1 tsp garlic salt (or salt)
  • 1 tsp ground all spice
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • ½ tsp ground nutmeg
  • ½ tsp ground black pepper
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
  • ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp dried thyme
  • ¼ tsp cumin
  • 3 tbsp Yoshida sauce (or soy sauce)

Procedures:
  1. Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl to create the jerk rub, even coat chicken wings in rub, transfer to a zip lock bag and refrigerate overnight (or 1-2 hours) to let it marinate.
  2. Before baking, coat pan with a little bit of oil, place chicken in, and bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
  3.  Enjoy!
Like all new recipes, there was not without fault, my original recipe was a little heavy on the cumin, which in this version I’ve already cut back on. If you are a cumin lover, this isn’t even an issue. Aside from the cumin mini mishap, these wings came out phenomenal! Slightly sweet and savory and a power punch when it came to the spices. Perfectly marinated, perfectly baked, a perfect appetizer to any party/event. Did I mention it was super easy? Marinate and forget then bake and celebrate!

  Now that food is set, it’s time to play! Go Niners!!! Bring home that sixth Super Bowl win!



Comments