Baked Brie and Raspberry Puffs


I do apologize for the last couple of entries being a bit of a Debbie Downer (sorry if your name happens to be Debbie, I don't know how that ever came about being a negative phrase...) I guess I can just say I've been a bit down as of late but it shall consume me no more. 

With that I'd like to continue praising the magic of exercise. It's amazing that something that causes so much pain (and a bit of suffering) could have such an opposite effect. After the lack of oxygen, muscle strength depletion, and depending on what type of work out you had, the soreness, you come out feeling like a new person and even more weird, you like it! Of course this is all afterwards. During is a whole different story, then you're probably just praying for the moment when you can stop and catch your breath hoping you won't collapse. This mad and insane method is how I am battling my own troubles. Giving myself that extra shot of endorphins.

Recently while I was driving to work, about an hour spent listening to more talk than music early in the mornings, one of the topics the hosts had brought up was types of comfort foods we turn to when upset. I'd have to say I quite disagree with this type of practice. Eating should be the last thing you do when you get upset. When I'm extremely emotional towards something...I never have an appetite. That doesn't mean I've never over eaten before and all I have to say about that is I feel like crap when that's all said and done. Overindulging over something like a bag of chips is usually followed by many hours of discomfort so why, I ask, would you want to do something to add onto your already crappy feelings!? That's terrible! How does eating a pint of ice cream suppose to help you feel better? Sure it's delicious but after eating an entire pint now you've probably added onto your problems. Upset stomach, extra weight, and not to mention your original problem is still there unless of course the problem was not having anything to eat in which case problem solved (not the best of solutions but solved). For most of us, that's not the problem. I guess what I'm trying to convey is, enjoy comfort foods in moderation. Reaching for 12 candy bars will NOT make things better, it will make you sick to your stomach. >> end response

Blogging about my response makes me less of a crazy person than if I started responding to a relatively empty car. Of course, nowadays technology is so advance even if we are talking to ourselves, no one has to know. People will just think you're on the phone.

It's been a bit slow on the cooking front lately as well but that's only because cooking takes up so much time when I do explore a new recipe that if I fill my weekends with plans, I usually don't get much cooking experiments in. No worries, there's still recipes to share. This experiment I'm about to share, I've decided to revisit an older recipe I had came up with around the beginning of this year, my baked brie with fruit jam in pastry sheet. Instead of using peach jam, I decided I wanted to try raspberries. I wanted to use more fresh raspberries than jam but unfortunately the tartness in the fresh raspberries didn't pair well with the dessert. My advice (and I had already written a recipe to reflect this) is to use more jam/preserves than fresh raspberries. If you're using a sweeter fruit then it shouldn't be a problem. 



Ingredients:

  • Raspberry preserves (or fruit jam of choice)
  • About 9-12 raspberries (optional)(
  • Brie round
  • Puff Pastry (1 sheet will yield 9-12 depending on how you cut the puff pastry, I divided it into 9 pieces)

Procedure:
    1. Thaw puff pastry via instructions on package (normally can be done by moving the puff pastry from freezer to the fridge and let it sit over night OR thaw for 2 hours in room temperature).
    2. Divide puff pastry into approximately 9 to 12 equal pieces (4”x 4”) or if you want to have smaller pieces, can be divided into 12 pieces 
    1. Slice the brie into thick slices (less than ¼”) and surface area of  approx 1” x 1”
    2. Lay the brie at the center of the puff pastry, add a dollop of jam, place another piece of brie on top, and then finish with another dollop of jam.
    3. Wrap the brie by folding in the 4 corners and pinch the edges close (note: the edges will open up when baked). Note: Also can be baked in a mini cupcake pan in which you won’t have to fold the corners.
    1. Set oven to 400 degrees and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
    2. Top with fresh raspberries in the opening when done (optional).


 

Comments