Thai Inspired Shrimp Noodles

My deep craving for Thai food has returned and since my favorite Thai restaurant is about 20 minutes away and its unbelievably warm outside, I'll just have to make do with what I have at home...

I have always struggled with Thai cuisine, I love it and yet I haven't been able to create exact flavor profiles (yet). I've made good dishes, but are they authentic Thai, I don't think so...getting closer though. I wish I knew exactly the type of herbs and spices they put in their curries. I suppose I can look it up but often times those recipes fall short and they turn out not only not what I want but kind of disappointing. Thai cuisine is flavorful: a hint of heat, sweet, and savory but all very light and not over powering. I guess this is when I just have to come up with my own "Thai" inspired dish...

Given my taste parameters, I set myself to work. I'm sure pad thai has its own pad thai noodles however, I prefer using Vietnamese pho noodles in its place when it comes to stir frying. Either way, those two noodles are very similar.


Thai Inspired Shrimp Noodles
Makes 4-5 servings
printable version here
Ingredients:
  • approx 7oz of pho noodles (available in most Asian super markets, they will be located where all the "wet" noodles are, should be refrigerated.)
  • 2 bunches of green onions, chopped
  • about 4 oz of peeled shrimp
  • 1-2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 3-4 tbsp Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce
  •  2-3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp hoisan sauce
  • garlic salt
  • olive oil
  • 3-4 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp five spice powder (optional)
  • basil flakes (fresh basil best)
  • ground black pepper
  • 3 eggs, slightly beaten
  • approx 4 tbsp roasted peanuts, chopped (to roast peanuts, place peanuts on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown at 350 degrees)
  • chili flakes
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
Procedures:
Noodles:
  1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, reduce heat and drop the noodles in, give a quick stir and the noodles should be ready to be removed (approx 30 seconds to 1 minute in hot boiling water). If the noodle stays in the hot water too long it'll become soggy and hard to work with.
  2. Drain noodles into a bowl and quickly coat the cooked noodles with sesame oil and soy sauce. You want to do this quickly otherwise the noodles will start to stick together. Set aside
Shrimp:
  1. Heat a medium skillet with olive oil. Sear the shrimp on both side with a little bit of ground black pepper and salt to taste. Once both sides of the shrimps have been seared, add in the Roma tomatoes along with basil and five spice and saute. Once the shrimp is about 90% cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
Putting it all together:
  1. In the same skillet, heat with olive oil at high heat. Pour eggs into skillet and let it sit in the pan for about 30 second and then stir the contents around (as if making scrambled eggs) when eggs are still relatively runny (approx 50% cooked) add in the noodles and hoisan sauce. Once the eggs and noodles are well incorporated and cooked, add in the shrimp mix along with fish sauce, chili sauce, peanuts, green onions, and chili flakes. Add more basil if desired. Dish is complete once everything is well mixed together

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, I am always looking for a new recipe and saw your Sweet and spicy Shrimp noodles on the Foodgawker. These noodles sound and looks so good. I can't wait to try it. Hi! I would like to invite you to join us at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/06/clever-chicks-blog-hop-39-plus-nest-box.html


    I hope you can make it!
    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment