Chicken Primavera Paella!

A lazy Sunday afternoon with nothing to do so why not spend it by playing with some of those neat ingredients I got from my Hatchery box subscription. Via the tasting guide, I decided to try their chicken primavera paella recipe that was suggested with the little jar of pasta gravy I received. It was too small to actually put it in pasta so this was a good way to use it. Quite honestly though once its in the paella, the rest of the flavors from the paella drowns it out. I had a taste of what was left in the jar and though not mind blowing good, it was still a decent jar of sauce. Unlike most jar sauces, this actually had a taste of fresh tomatoes and my favorite part was it had a kick to it. Can't go wrong with spicy in my book. Would I feel the need to get the full sized version, probably not unless I saw it at the store somewhere. 

Regardless however, it's tasty enough for a try. I think this would've been more tasty if I had used the rice the recipe called for rather than whatever rice I had at hand which happened to be some brown basmati rice that broken down quite a bit when I was cooking it. I also didn't have the right skillet to cook it in, seems like there's a number of factors here but the flavors are all there. Things to note for next time I suppose.
 
Chicken Primavera Paella
from Hatchery: Chicken Primavera Paella

Ingredients:
  • 1 package chicken breast tenders (I used roughly 1.5lbs)
  • 4 oz pasta sauce (or Hatchery monthly sample of Glicco's Arrabbiatta Pasta Gravy)
  • 1 cup Spanish chorizo 
  • 4 cup chicken stock
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2 cup long grain rice
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp Spanish paprika
  • salt & pepper for taste
Procedures:
  1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown on the skillet for about 3-5 minutes per side. Set aside.
  2. Add another tbsp of olive oil in the same skillet and saute onions, garlic, bell pepper, and chorizo for about 5 minutes. Add in paprika, pasta sauce, chicken stock, rice, and browned chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Bring everything to a boil then turn heat down to a simmer. Cover and cook for approximately 25-30 minutes (also making sure the chicken is also cooked thoroughly)
  3. Add peas and corn to the pot, turn heat up for about 45 seconds to toast the rice on the bottom (careful not to let it burn). Garnish with fresh parsley and serve!

Comments