The Crazy Nut Cookie!

Ever get a cookie crave? This is the result of a cookie crave. 

Its been a while since I baked anything AND we were kind of low on butter so the obvious choice is to use something that's full of fatty goodness on its own - nut butters! I made Alton Brown's chewy peanut butter cookie a while back and LOVED IT! I'm usually not a peanut butter cookie fan, but this version is so good. Just the hint of crisp but the rest of it is this super chewy awesomeness - almost like a  soft caramel cookie with peanut butter. 

If it worked with peanut butter, why stop there?! So I tweaked it a little. I ran into this jar of mixed nut butter at Trader Joe's and basically it was made up of roasted almonds, cashews, pecans, Brazil nut, walnut, and hazelnut - that's a lot of nuts! All of which sounds pretty damn awesome to me ... and so The Crazy Nut Cookie was born.... my version isn't gluten free, sorry, I wanted my batter less runny so I added flour. Oh well. It came out freakin' awesome delicious so I'm happy.
 
The Crazy Nut Cookie
adapted from Chewy Peanut Butter Cookie by Alton Brown in Everyday Cook

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Trader Joe's mixed nut butter or any natural nut butter of your choice (natural in that the nut oil and butter is slightly separated and also thinner in consistency)
  • 1/2 cup  brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp of salt
  • pinch of ground coffee (optional)
  • another 1/4 cup of sugar (for dusting)
  • 1/4 cup of candied pecans (to top, optional)
Procedures:
  1. Mixed together nut butter, brown sugar, sugar, and flour together until well mixed. 
  2. Add in egg, baking soda, vanilla, salt and coffee and mix until well blended
  3. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, roll on a light layer of sugar, and place onto a parchment lined pan (keep them about 3 inches apart, they will expand!), then flatten slightly with a fork or the palm of your hand. Top with pecan
  4. Bake at 350F degrees for about 10 minutes or until lightly brown.
  5. Cool for a few minutes and enjoy!

Comments