Chicken Potato Salad

A new twist to an old classic, the potato salad. The intention was to boil potatoes for mashed potatoes... except my mom didn't quite pick the most suitable for the occasion, tiny little baby potatoes with skins still on it isn't the best way for mashed potatoes, so what is one to do? Being quick on my feet when it comes to food, I thought making a potato salad would be the perfect alternative. My mom also conveniently boiled an egg... perhaps the intention was for a potato salad all along....

This is when a pair of kitchen shears come in real handy, cut the potatoes into fourths, cut some green onions, cut some leftover chicken breast, cut up the boiled egg, add in some extra taste enhancers, and BAM a delicious potato salad in the making! I never liked mayonnaise in potato salads so what would be a good substitute...hmm... hummus + yogurt dip perhaps? I know it sounds weird but it works! The best discovery ever! Made one of the best tasting potato salad (actually my first time making potato salad, after seeing my mom go at it in years past, it wasn't such a dark jab...), even my mom was impressed, I think I've just moved us away from mayonnaise in yet another dish! **small victories!** Using hummus and yogurt instead of mayonnaise/sour cream (or I actually don't really know what's in a normal potato salad... but I'm going to stick to this one) makes this loads healthier, I didn't say healthiest, but healthier. Little life changes is all it takes! End lecture.

The recipe is a rough estimate mainly because I was making it based on tasting it rather than exact measurements so I suggest the same if you care to venture into this crazy new concept.

Chicken Potato Salad
Ingredients:
  • 4oz cooked chicken breast, cut into small cubes/shredded
  • 1-2lbs boiled potatoes, cubed
  • 2 bunches of green onions, chopped
  • 1-2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
  • 3-4 tbsp hummus (I like the spicy kind, gives it a nice kick)
  • 3-4 tbsp yogurt dip (I used the cilantro yogurt dip from Trader Joe's)
  •  1 tbsp paprika
  • 1/2 tbsp garlic salt
  • ground black pepper
  • 1-2 tbsp spicy mustard
  • 1 tbsp strawberry or raspberry jelly (this is weird, but again, it works! Brings a bit of sweetness to it)
Procedures:
  1. Combine and mix. Taste for further seasoning.

Comments