In one of my many browsing trips, I came upon this little gem, Nando's Peri Peri Sauce. I've never heard of Nando's before until I went to Europe (apparently they are also in Australia but I was not aware of that when I visited) but they are a somewhat famous chain restaurant and known for their Peri Peri sauce and roasted chicken dishes. Given this and also to bring a little bit of overseas closer to home, I decided it would be fun to buy a jar of this sauce and see what fun things I can make with it. Turns out most of the work was already done for me, they have an entire website full of recipes for you to try out. After glancing through, I settled on 2 (one to be posted later) since I had just enough sauce for 2 separate dishes.
Creamy, a bit of tang, and just a slight kick to give your taste buds a jolt.
Creamy Peri Peri Chicken w/Pasta
recipe adapted from Nando's Recipes
- 3 tbsp olive oil (1 tbsp for cherry tomatoes)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional. it helps bring out the flavors in the tomatoes and mellow out some of its acidity)
- 500 g of chicken fillets, thinly sliced (I used chicken breast tenders, slightly cubed)
- 1/4 cup Nando's Peri Peri Sauce (or you can Google Peri Peri sauce, there are some amazing recipes to make your own)
- 1/4 cup of white wine
- 1/2 cup of cream (125ml)
- 250 g oven roasted cherry tomatoes (recipe below)
- salt and pepper
- 500 g cooked pasta (approx 250 g of uncooked)
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Toss cherry tomatoes in olive oil, sugar, garlic powder, and rosemary. Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a pan, cook onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes
- Add in chicken and stir fry on high heat for 3-5 minutes
- Stir in peri peri sauce and white wine and simmer for 1 minute to reduce slightly
- Stir in cream and oven roasted tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Laddle over pasta and serve (or mix with pasta)