Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms!

Want something simple, delicious, and totally healthy?  Stuffed portabella mushrooms! I love my meats (sorry, it's addiction for life) but sometimes we all need a bit of veggies so this has become my go to when I want something nutritious and filling.

The first time I put these together, it was really an afterthought to create as a vegetarian option for people who prefer their greens. I was prepping the mushrooms which was basically throw some cheese and breadcrumbs on it, toss onto the grill, done. Well... the grill was awfully busy and I had to wait... so what happens when you get bored in the kitchen with a counter full of ingredients and leftover tad bits? Genius, that what. 


I was snacking on a slice of heirloom tomato when I realized how awesome it would be if I stuffed a slice in with the mushroom... some Italian seasoning, garlic, Parmesan cheese. One thing led to another and before I knew it, an accidental masterpiece. Turns out, it was a hit! Veggie and meat eaters alike, couldn't get enough! It doesn't sound like a lot but let me tell you, eating the whole thing will fill you up!

I haven't mastered the art of grilling yet so every time I've remade these I used the oven and they turn out just as tasty. I love that with this you don't have to stick to the recipe 100%, have fun with it. I haven't tried it yet, but ground turkey, onions, and bell peppers would be a tasty combo as well.


Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
Ingredients: 
  • 2-3 Portabella mushrooms - de-stemmed and washed
  • 1 clove of garlic, chopped
  • Italian bread crumbs 
  • approx 1/2 to 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • Mozzarella cheese (optional)
  • 2-3 tbsp of Italian seasoning: oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary
  • 1 heirloom tomato (large), sliced
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
  •  salt/pepper
Procedures:
  1. MIX: Italian bread crumbs and half of the Parmesan cheese together 
  2. LAYER: for each mushroom: add salt/pepper, oil, some chopped garlic >> bread crumb mix >> tomato >> herb seasoning >> finally top with Parmesan or Mozzarella 
  3. BAKE: cover with foil, bake at 325F for 10-15 minutes. Uncover halfway to brown or crisp the cheese  or GRILL: cover with foil, grill for 10-15 minutes or until tender

Comments