Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms!
The first time I put these together, it was really an afterthought to create as a vegetarian option for people who prefer their greens. I was prepping the mushrooms which was basically throw some cheese and breadcrumbs on it, toss onto the grill, done. Well... the grill was awfully busy and I had to wait... so what happens when you get bored in the kitchen with a counter full of ingredients and leftover tad bits? Genius, that what.
I haven't mastered the art of grilling yet so every time I've remade these I used the oven and they turn out just as tasty. I love that with this you don't have to stick to the recipe 100%, have fun with it. I haven't tried it yet, but ground turkey, onions, and bell peppers would be a tasty combo as well.
Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
- 2-3 Portabella mushrooms - de-stemmed and washed
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- Italian bread crumbs
- approx 1/2 to 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp of Italian seasoning: oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary
- 1 heirloom tomato (large), sliced
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- MIX: Italian bread crumbs and half of the Parmesan cheese together
- LAYER: for each mushroom: add salt/pepper, oil, some chopped garlic >> bread crumb mix >> tomato >> herb seasoning >> finally top with Parmesan or Mozzarella
- BAKE: cover with foil, bake at 325F for 10-15 minutes. Uncover halfway to brown or crisp the cheese or GRILL: cover with foil, grill for 10-15 minutes or until tender