Swedish Meatballs!

I don't know why but I had a deep craving for some Swedish meatballs even though I've never had any prior experiences with it (I know, crazy!) but I have seen enough pictures of it and definitely known of their existence. 


So why the crave for something I've never had? Only my crazy stomach can tell you but perhaps the creamy sauce its bathe in was one of the many reasons. Nonetheless I wanted some!

So the research began...
Several recipes and videos of schooling later, I was ready to venture off on my own. 
A couple of things to note: equal portions beef and pork is key. Soaking pieces of fresh bread is always the better option than soaking dry bread crumbs, makes the meatballs more moist (and suddenly I sound so expert, haha nah!)

Swedish Meatballs
Ingredients:
  • 2 slices of white bread, teared into pieces
  • 1/4 cup of milk
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • salt/pepper to season
  • 3/4 lbs of ground beef chuck (regular ground beef is fine, I had a hard time finding pre-ground beef chucks)
  • 3/4 lbs of ground pork 
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1/4 tsp ground all spice
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 3 cup beef stock
  • 1/4 cup of heavy cream (half & half/ milk is fine too, depends on how creamy you'd like it but also if you're watching the calories)
  • Worcestershire sauce (optional)
Procedures:
  1. In a small bowl, add milk and bread together to soak, set aside for a couple of minutes.
  2. Then mix together everything from onions down to nutmeg according to the ingredient list above including the soaked bread pieces. Form 1" sized meatballs (or whatever size you wish)
  3. To cook: You may deep fry (recommended for even browning and super juicy) or bake them (350F until golden brown), I choose to pan fry them, put down some oil in a saute pan, place meatballs into pan, gradually turning them so they brown and cook on all sides. You can also brown on a pan then finish in the oven.
  4. For the gravy: In a sauce pan over medium heat, make a roux by melting down the butter and cooking the flour in it. Once the flour/butter becomes well mixed together (somewhat gooey) then slowly add in beef stock and cream (and Worcestershire sauce too if you want) while stirring. Remove from heat once your gravy reaches a smooth, thick consistency. If too thick, thin with extra stock or milk.

Comments