Zucchini Potato Latkes!

Found out from the caveman recently there was a Jewish holiday (New Year's?) and usually that means an excuse to go to Gayle's Bakery for some traditional holiday grub, like potato latkes! I've never had them before and once I did, I was hooked! They reminded me of the potato hash my grandmother use to throw together for my brother and I. She'd cut the potatoes into really thin shreds and then pay fry them with salt, pepper, and tad of Worcestershire sauce...soooo GOOD! I remember we'd fight over who'd get those bits that were extra crispy... yum!

Potato latkes because of the way they're cooked, you have super crispy bits everywhere so you can imagine my excitement! Plus I LOVE potatoes. Unfortunately we didn't make it to our beloved bakery over the weekend and I was left with a deep hole... potato latkes, potato latkes, potato latkes... the craving was just swimming around in my head. Hell! If I can't go Gayle's, I'll bring Gayle's potato latkes to me! 


After some poking around the internet and combining a few ingredients from recipes here and there, I threw together my very own batch of potato latkes. Yay! I have to admit because I was lazy and also didn't want to buy even more potatoes (in addition to the 5lb bag I had sitting on my kitchen counter...) I decided to use the tiny little Yukon Gold potatoes which was a pain to shred and so there was a lot more eyeballing than I would've preferred and probably why this batch was slightly doughy in the center BUT the taste and crispy bits were all there! Honestly I could've eaten the whole batch. 

From what I can tell, it seems like the traditional potato latkes are a combination of potatoes, onions, salt/pepper/flour/eggs, and pan fried. The only latkes I've ever had was from Gayle's and so naturally my batch was more inspired by their version which included zucchinis, leeks, and parsley. I forgot about the leeks so that's omitted in this version. I also recently found a blog that I've become an instant fan of, My Name is Molly Yeh, whose author just happens to be Jewish so who better to reference right? 

Oh and you're suppose to eat them with applesauce... which maybe because I'm not a huge fan of applesauce to begin with...I don't understand... but okay.


Zucchini Potato Latkes
inspired from Gayle's Bakery and ex-boyfriend latkes 
Makes 8 latkes

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound potatoes (Russell potatoes are most ideal), shredded
  • 1/2 cup of yellow onions, shredded or chopped
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup of zucchini, shredded lengthwise
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup of matzo meal
  • 1/4 cup of AP flour (can use 1/2 cup of flour if you don't have matzo meal)
  • 1/4 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
  • black and white pepper for seasoning
  • oil for pan frying 
Procedures:
  1. Salt potatoes and onions in a mixing bowl, then place the mixture onto a cheesecloth or durable paper towels, squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
  2. Place potatoes and onions back into a mixing bowl and add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
  3. Fill a frying pan with 1/4" of oil, over medium heat, scoop small portions of the latke mixture into the pan. Slightly flatten the latkes with the back of a spatula. Cook until both sides are golden brown.
  4. Enjoy with some applesauce or sour cream OR just plain

Comments