I knew I had to make a batch as soon as I saw them and how easy they were to make. Of course, I can never leave well enough alone when I see the opportunity to add in some personal touches to the recipe. After a few changes here and there, I have somewhat made a different version of it but nonetheless props to the awesome technique. You can be creative in so many way with this. I've already made a savory version with bacon, caramelized onion, and cheddar cheese, oh dear! It is so good sweet or savory.
Caramel Apple Roses
inspired by Cooking With Manuela
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 2 red apples (or any apple of your choice, red stands out)
- about 3 tbsp of apricot preserve
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2-3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecan
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 stick (4tbsp) butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (or whole milk)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare muffin/cupcake pan by spraying or greasing the pan
- Prepare apples by coring and then cutting the apples in half then thinly slicing them. In a microwave safe mixing bowl, mix apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together then set aside for about 10-15 minutes.
- Soften the apples by microwaving them slightly for 30 seconds to a minute. Apples should be soft enough to bend but not break
- Unwrap thawed pastry dough, using a rolling pin, stretch out the dough to roughly dough in length (approx 12 x 9 inches) then cut into 6 strips (approx 2 x 9 inches).
- Spread a thin layer of apricot preserve onto each strip
- Arrange the apples by placing the slices lengthwise on the top half of the dough making sure the slices are slightly overlapping (refer to Cooking with Manuela link for pictures on how to).
- Fold up the bottom half of the dough. Starting from one end, slowly roll the dough into a circle making sure to keep the apples in place. Once you have finished rolling it, place into a muffin pan
- Bake at 375F degrees for about 40 -45 minutes
- In a sauce pan, bring everything except the pecan to a boil over medium heat then bring it down to a simmer and continue heating with occasional stirring until caramel is thicken.
- Drizzle over finished apple roses and top with chopped pecans.