Rich & Creamy Sweet Potato Penne Pasta

One of the things I enjoy the most about winter is being able to cook hearty dishes that are nice and heavy, perfect for the cold weather, not to mention warming up the house while I'm cooking.

 Rich & Creamy Sweet Potato Penne Pasta

My newest (old) dish to share is something I whipped up last year when I had a horrid craving for sweet potatoes... I don't even know why. When people say your taste preferences change as you get older, they weren't kidding! I was never a fan of sweet potatoes and yet now I was craving them. So like all cravings there is only one way to get rid of it, eat it (and lots of it)! Good thing I wasn't craving cookies, though I'm usually pretty good with that unhealthy stuff. Since sweet potatoes are loaded with nutritional goodies (beta-carotene, vitamin A, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, potassium, etc, etc) I went all out and ate until my heart's content!

Sweet potatoes by themselves are a little bland for my taste. My family just bakes them and devour with a dash of salt. I wanted more, so I decided it was time to spice things up and literally! At the time when I came up with this I was bumming at a friend's apartment while I hunted for a place to live. Naturally I didn't want to invade in any more space than I had to... so I wanted to come up with meals that were quick (because I'm lazy), healthy, and wouldn't take up fridge space.
Well at that time, I was also craving pasta, so I thought "hmm it wouldn't be a terrible idea to marinate the 2 cravings together... since sweet potatoes give off a creamy texture, might actually be really delicious!" Luckily it was and so this recipe was born!

One year later and though I'm not craving sweet potatoes, it is a nice recipe to fall back to when you're in a crunch for time and need something quick, easy, delicious, and nutritious (use whole wheat pasta!).


Comments