These cookies have a very subtle hint of coffee after they finish baking but that's what makes them so great. The original recipe called for instant cappuccino which I didn't have so I did the next best thing and sub for instant coffee and threw in a little bit of cocoa powder to give the coffee flavor an extra boost. The nuttiness from the almond meal paired perfectly with it as well.
Hazelnut Coffee Crescent Cookies
adapted from Kitchen Nostalgia: Cappuccino Crescent Cookies
makes approx 24 cookies: 93 calories per cookie
- 40g instant coffee ( I used hazelnut instant coffee)
- 1 1/4 cup of flour (150g)
- 1/8 tsp of baking powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of cocoa powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup almond meal (or ground walnuts/hazelnuts)
- 1/4 cup of sugar (50g)
- pinch of salt
- 100 g of butter (roughly 7 tbsp)
- 50g of dark chocolate chips (for glaze)
- 25 ml of hot water (roughly 1 1/2 tbsp + 1/4 tsp)
- Mix instant coffee with hot water until smooth and set aside to cool
- Combine flour, baking powder, almond meal, sugar, and salt. Add in coffee mix and butter to make a dough. Form dough into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shape cookies into crescents and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for approx 12 minutes or until slightly brown at 350 F degrees
- Melt chocolate using by double boiling and then dipped the cooled cookies.