Aloo Tikki! (Indian Potato Coquette)

So I've been away visiting my family in Guangzhou, China this past month and thank goodness for some pre-written (somewhat boring...) drafts to post while I was over there. What a refreshing change of pace to be away for a while.

I have to be honest though, definitely ready to come home and sleep in my own bed surrounded by my own life ... is it wrong to say I even miss doing a little bit of my own chores. Perhaps its the personal gratification of cleaning up after yourself (if you're into that type of thing) or feeling less like a mooch. My aunts and uncles are the best! They won't be able to read this, 1. because its in English and 2. because China blocks almost everything from the outside world, hope that changes one day because its really not necessary anymore, but THANK YOU everyone for their awesome hospitality and the delicious food, my aunt is an awesome cook. Picked her brain on a couple of dishes. More later.

In being back I've managed to do... well nothing. Have gotten so used to not having to worry about anything or doing anything significant that it's taking me a little bit to get back into the groove of being productive. Even my cooking got a little rusty (made Green Thai Curry the other night...didn't turn out like how I wanted it...I secretly blame the coconut milk but maybe me not cooking a while had something to do with it too).  

Anyways, here is something I whipped up a couple of months ago, random Facebook ad for Tazo Chai Tea with an accompanying Aloo Tikki recipe... didn't know what that was so I looked it up and it sounded really delicious, super easy and quick, a great appetizer or snack. Enjoy! 


Aloo Tikki
makes 7-8 patties
Ingredients:
  • 4 boiled potatoes, peeled and slightly mashed
  • 1/2 cup of thawed/fresh peas (corn or carrots is okay too)
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs (1/4 + 1/4) 
  • 1 tbsp corn starch
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro (ground coriander okay) 
  • 2 tsp finely chopped green chilies
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala powder ( I used Indian Madras curry powder)
  • 1/2 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp white ground pepper
  • salt/black pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp sugar (optional)
  • 2-3 tbsp oil for pan frying
Procedures:
  1. Mix everything together (only use 1/4 cup of bread crumbs) in a bowl until well combined and dough like
  2. Form patties by tearing a small piece of dough off and rolling it into a ball with your hands then slightly flattening them with the palms of your hands. 
  3. Pour 1/4 cup of bread crumbs into a wide mouth shallow bowl, lightly coat the patties with bread crumbs
  4. Pan fry patties with a little bit of oil in a frying pan over medium high heat until crispy and golden brown
  5. Eat as is or serve with a chutney or mint sauce.

Comments