Key Lime Pie!
I suspect once I start gorging on Hallmark holiday movies, things will fall right back where they should be, yay holidays! LOL those movies are so cheesy and predictable but I can never help myself, sit thru tons of them and totally content, happy as a clam.
So completely unrelated, key lime pie! Because I wanted some, also because I happened to run across bags of key limes while I was at Wal-Mart and thought, "why not??" Well now I know "why not"!... HUGE mistake, the juice extraction from those key limes was one I probably never want to go thru again... Holy crap, trying to juice 30+ golf ball sized limes to get 1/2 cup of key lime juice was hell! I recommend just buying the juice, all the work already done by someone who has a juicer. Amazon has them and so does Wal-Mart online, supposedly Nellie & Joe's is a pretty decent brand. Of course if you have an easier means of juicing, fresh is always better, for me, I'd like to have an hour of my life not juicing key limes :). Outside of that small detail, making key lime pie is pretty darn easy and tasty.
Key Lime Pie
adapted from epicurious.com
- 1 1/4 cup of crushed graham crackers
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup ground pecans
- 1 can (14oz) condensed milk
- 4 large eggs yolks
- 1/2 cup of key lime juice
- 2 egg whites (optional) - whipped until stiff peaks with 1/4 cup of sugar and fold into batter
- Combine crust ingredients, press into pie pan, and bake at 350F for 10 minutes
- Combine filling ingredients, pour into pie crust and bake for 15 minutes at 350F
- Remove and let pie cool completely then refrigerated for 8 hours