I've been using it to replace some of my carb-y side dishes: i.e. rice, mash potatoes, bread, etc. Not because I have anything against carbs, I <3 them! But I also need to be smart and think healthier options... sometimes...because you know...not getting any younger (ahem...) and so choosing a healthy alternative from time to time is a good thing. It also totally cuts calories down when I use it as an alternative. Like this particular recipe, instead of toasting up a heavy piece of bread as a side, I made breadsticks from a vegetable! Totally justifiable to have a few more pieces! I've slightly adjusted the recipe because when I used a 1:1 ratio of eggs to cauliflower I found it to be a bit egg-y, like a crispy quiche, so I'm thinking a 1:2 ratio would be better to take some of that egg-ness away. Either way though, it was delicious! Hopefully more veggie inspired recipes to come! For now have a piece of garlicky "bread" stick :).
Garlic (Cauliflower) Breadsticks
inspired by Jo Cooks
- 3-4 cups of riced raw cauliflower - raw cauliflower will cook down to about 2 cups.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of cheese (I used a blend of Parmesan + mozzarella)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt/pepper to taste
- additional cheese to top
- Rice the cauliflower + cloves of garlic using a blender or food processor until cauliflower bits look like pieces of rice (cut stems off if too long prior to ricing).
- In a microwave safe container, microwave cauliflower for 3-5 minutes (depending on microwave watts) until cauliflower is nice and tender, slightly translucent. Set aside to cool completely
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients in with the cauliflower and mix well, until batter-like consistency
- Flatten and shape to about 1/4" thick square onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 425F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, top with additional cheese and bake for additional 3-5 minutes until cheese melts