Hot Pastrami Sandwich!

Its scary but I guess this is how my brain likes to function... as I was enjoying my sandwich last time (smoked salmon grilled cheese) the inner wheels were already turning and I'm already thinking about my next meal (I'm still eating!). Food is never really ever too far from my mind, I can probably think about it all day and night and it'll never get old.


So as I was gnawing away at my sandwich, here is what I came up with for this time around: take out the smoked salmon (for all those non fish lovers out there) and replace with some warm pastrami and alfalfa sprouts for some crunch! Doesn't that sound great?! Well leave it to me to forget to buy the sprouts when I went to the store and this is why all things must be written on a list... it was a sad moment when I realized my sprouts are proudly sitting at the supermarket and not here at home with me... oh well the sandwich was still really good regardless.

What do you need? Nothing too fancy:
  • 2 slices of bread ( I used rye bread)
  • a few slices of pastrami
  • handful of alfalfa sprouts (or some mixed springs/spinach would be great too)
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • olive oil
  • garlic salt
  • basil
  • ground black pepper (optional)
  • cheese of choice ( I used 2 slices of Habanero Jack and 1 slice of Garlic White Cheddar)
  • sweet and spicy mustard (optional

 How to assemble?
  1. Mix olive oil with basil and garlic salt, then using a pastry brush lightly brush the outsides of the bread. 
  2. Warm up the pastrami before putting in the sandwich by giving it a quick sear on the skillet and then setting it aside for assembly later.
  3. Place one slice of bread onto the skillet (medium heat), oil side down, and then layer accordingly: 1.5 slices of cheese, sliced avocado, alfalfa sprouts, pastrami, sweet and spicy mustard (optional), a bit of cracked ground pepper, 1.5 slices of cheese, and top slice of bread with oiled side facing up wards. 
  4. Once assembly is completed, flip the sandwich so that the other side can be toasted and cheese from the other side is melted.
  5. Remove from heat, cut in half, and enjoy!
Recipe looks familiar? Well that because out of convenience and laziness, I just copied and pasted, and made some minor tweaks to the other sandwich recipe, why make more work when you don't have to right?!


Comments