However first and foremost:
AWESOME JOB SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS!! WE'RE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!!
*Some moments are best when shared. Please ignore the poor photo quality, as the quality of the moment was more important*
and of course food is great too:
The Ultimate Chicken Sausage Hot Dog
Sure you can enjoy the usual game day foods: hot dogs, burgers, chips, etc...but why settle for normal when you can have extraordinary!? Okay so a bit of exaggeration but the bottom line is everything can be so much more interesting with just a few more ingredients to jazz up the ordinary.
To be honest though this lunch was also a bit driven by my small crave for carbs this week... but hey food still needs to be consumed while I watch my team play. Sadly no one else in my family are big on football, so I'm a lone wolf on this one. Nonetheless, their benefit was free lunch and being fed.
You would think making hot dogs would be a lot faster...but it took me a whole hour to get it together... though my mom mopping the kitchen while I was trying to cook and the game playing probably didn't help concentration much... so I guess the lesson is try to cook when there are less distractions.
Now let's discuss ingredients:
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, cut into stripes
- 1 Diced onion
- Slightly healthier version of hot dog buns (Trader Joe's Four Multigrain buns)
- 1 pack of Smoked Apple Chardonnay Chicken Sausage (or meat of choice)
- Garlic Olive Oil
- Garlic salt
- Basil Flakes
- 1 package of Trader Joe's Creamy Spinach & Artichoke Dip
- Chipotle mustard
- In a small bowl, mix some olive oil (about 2-3 tbsp) with garlic salt and basil, then with a pastry brush, lightly brush on the oil mix onto the insides of the bun.
- In a medium size saute pan, or any pan with a flat surface, place the coat buns face down until it becomes crispy and lightly browned. Place aside in a square baking pan lined with foil.
- Spread a light layer of mustard on the inside of the buns (optional)
- Slice the sausages down the middle and then heat them up in a pan just like the buns and once slightly browned and crispy, place inside the buns.
- Place jalapeno strips inside the sausage.
- Saute the onions and then add into the hot dog.
- Warm the spinach & artichoke dip and layer on top of the onions
- Sprinkle a few more bits of diced onions on top
- Add cheese (optional)
- Bake in the oven for about 5 minute at 325 degrees.
- Enjoy with the game!