Smoked Salmon Avocado Grilled Cheese!

What a Monday! Presidential Inauguration and Martin Luther King Jr's Birthday, a personal first for me that I was able to enjoy the best of both worlds. Normally I'm at work/school (I haven't been alive that long to witness that many!)  when the president gets his inauguration. Even though I almost never have any interest in politics or its activities, it was nice to have it welcome me this morning while I prepped my breakfast.


Yes I said breakfast! Whoever said one had to stick to a standard breakfast menu?
  1. That's boring
  2. I'm Asian and we can eat anything any time of the day. 
  3. Maybe I'm just a pig in the morning...what? I'm starving!
Who can blame me? The last time I had food was probably more than 10 hours ago! Breakfast was called breakfast for a reason, Break Fast! So why not break into the day with something full and nourishing. I'm weird, as much as I like my cereal and milk, it never quite does the trick for me...I almost always end up being hungry in about an hour or so... that's lame. My solution, eat a full on meal.

Today's special (a much more glorified breakfast than when I have to go to work and usually end up eating scrambled eggs)
Smoked Salmon Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich!
Ingredients:
  • 2 slices of bread ( I used rye bread)
  • smoked salmon
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • olive oil
  • garlic salt
  • basil
  • ground black pepper (optional)
  • cheese of choice ( I used 2 slices of Habanero Jack and 1 slice of Garlic White Cheddar)
  • honey mustard (optional)

Procedures:
  1. Mix olive oil with basil and garlic salt, then using a pastry brush lightly brush the outsides of the bread.
  2. Place one slice of bread onto the skillet (medium heat), oil side down, and then layer accordingly: 1.5 slices of cheese, sliced avocado, smoked salmon, honey mustard (optional), a bit of cracked ground pepper, 1.5 slices of cheese, and top slice of bread with oiled side facing up wards. 
  3. Once assembly is completed, flip the sandwich so that the other side can be toasted and cheese from the other side is melted.
  4. Remove from heat, cut in half, and enjoy! 
Breakfast is served. Warm, gooey, and slightly crispy on the outside, I'd say it was a successful breakfast. Though I don't think the smoked salmon I bought was all that great, I've had better but nonetheless, still yummy. As I was pigging out I realized, I think I might have reached (maybe even exceeded) my daily limit of omega-3 fatty acids for the day with this sandwich... could I have packed it with any more fattiness?! Olive oil, avocado, salmon... geez "lets not go overboard here" ...oh well too late.

Comments